Welcome to Highland FRC!
My name is Kathleen Burchett and I am the Family Resource Center Coordinator at Highland Elementary. My door is always open, please feel free to drop by the office or call anytime. Family Resource Centers have been created as part of the Kentucky Reform Act, also known as KERA. The intent of each of the centers is to enhance the student's ability to succeed in school by assisting children, parents, and families in meeting some of their needs.
GOALS of Family Resource Center
- To promote the healthy growth and development of children by assisting families to identify and address any home or community barriers to a child's success in school.
- To assist families to develop the parenting skills that can promote the full development of children.
- To ensure that families have access to and are connected with appropriate community resources and receive from those resources the help that they need.
- To encourage social support linkages and networks among families, thereby reducing isolation and promoting family involvement in community activities.
- To generate optimal parental and family involvement by offering learning and service opportunities that will enable parents and other family members to participate in center and community activities as providers, participants, and volunteers.
Here is a list of some of the resources, referrals, and assistance available to Highland families:
- School Supplies
- Clothing / Shoes
- Soul Food - weekend backpack program
- Hygiene items
- Mental Health referrals and resources
- Nutrition/Dental / Vision / Hearing resources and referrals
- Parenting classes, resources and information
- New / Expectant Parents - Parent Expo
- Early Childhood Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Family Fun Nights
- Poor Student Attendance assistance
- GED / Adult Education resources and referrals
- Finance / Budgeting classes
- Childcare referrals
- Summer Camps
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Network
office # 606-297-7077